Child support is the right of the child, not the right of the parent. Parents may not negotiate a reduction in child support in exchange for more or less alimony, assets or any other form of consideration. A parent's child support obligation is determined by an established formula referred to as the Child Support Guidelines. Components included in the formula are the income of the parents, the number of children, the amount of overnights the child spends with each parent and the age of the child. Included in determining gross income is the alimony component. So if one party is paying alimony, that obligation is deducted from the paying parent's gross income and added to the payee parent's income. Even the custodial parent is responsible for a share of the child's support. If the parents' combined income is in excess of $187,200.00, the courts will look to additional factors to determine how much additional child support should be paid in addition to what's set forth in the guidelines.
- Can You "Bargain" About Entry of a Restraining Order?
- Are Changes On the Way for New Jersey Surrogacy Laws?
- When You Want to File for an At-Fault Divorce
- Parental Alienation: Could You Be Guilty of It?
- What Happens When Men Are Domestic Violence Victims?
- Psychological Parents: What You Need to Know
- How Long Do You Need to Be Married to Collect Alimony?
- When You Think a Restraining Order is No Longer Necessary
- Seven Myths about Family Law That Might Surprise You
- What You Might Not Know about Restraining Orders (And, Should!)
high net worth Domestic Violence Prenuptial Agreements civil union Child Custody Child support enforcement Child Support new jersey law grey divorce Prenuptial Agreement same-sex couples alimony dissolution of civil union Equitable Distribution Divorce
- alimony (11)
- Child Custody (7)
- Child Support (7)
- Child support enforcement (1)
- civil union (1)
- dissolution of civil union (1)
- Divorce (16)
- Domestic Violence (3)
- Equitable Distribution (6)
- grey divorce (1)
- high net worth (2)
- new jersey law (8)
- Prenuptial Agreement (2)
- Prenuptial Agreements (1)
- same-sex couples (1)