Child support is the right of the child, not the right of the parent. Parents may not negotiate a reduction in child support in exchange for more or less alimony, assets or any other form of consideration. A parent's child support obligation is determined by an established formula referred to as the Child Support Guidelines. Components included in the formula are the income of the parents, the number of children, the amount of overnights the child spends with each parent and the age of the child. Included in determining gross income is the alimony component. So if one party is paying alimony, that obligation is deducted from the paying parent's gross income and added to the payee parent's income. Even the custodial parent is responsible for a share of the child's support. If the parents' combined income is in excess of $187,200.00, the courts will look to additional factors to determine how much additional child support should be paid in addition to what's set forth in the guidelines.
- Your Children's College Expenses as a Legal Issue
- What Does Overnight Parenting Time Have To Do With Child Support?
- What in the World Does Domestic Contretemps Mean?
- How to Make Co-Parenting Work for Your Children
- When You Settle Your Divorce Through Voluntary Mediation
- Divorce and Your Health Insurance: What You Need to Know
- Changing Your Children's School After a Divorce
- Deferred Compensation: How Will It Be Divided When You Split Up?
- Will Your Home Team Break Up After the Super Bowl?
- Worried Your Divorce Will Affect Your Parental Rights?
alimony civil union high net worth Domestic Violence Child support enforcement dissolution of civil union grey divorce Prenuptial Agreement Child Custody same-sex couples Divorce new jersey law Child Support Prenuptial Agreements Equitable Distribution
- alimony (11)
- Child Custody (7)
- Child Support (7)
- Child support enforcement (1)
- civil union (1)
- dissolution of civil union (1)
- Divorce (16)
- Domestic Violence (3)
- Equitable Distribution (6)
- grey divorce (1)
- high net worth (2)
- new jersey law (8)
- Prenuptial Agreement (2)
- Prenuptial Agreements (1)
- same-sex couples (1)