In New Jersey divorce matters, not all property is subject to equitable distribution. Gifts, inheritances and intestate distributions received by either spouse from a third party, compensation received by a spouse for personal pain, suffering and disabilities are not to be subject to equitable distribution. Also exempt from equitable distribution are the assets owned prior to the marriage. However, the question arises as to what happens when the value of these assets appreciate during the course of the marriage. These situations require analysis into what has attributed to the appreciation of these assets. Another issue that often arises is happens if some of these assets are co-mingled with other assets. For assets that have been co-mingled they may still possibly be exempt from equitable distribution if it can be demonstrated that the asset was originally intended to be dedicated for the one party or to be returned to the original party. There are a host of other discrete issues associated with seemingly exempt or pre-marital assets. This is why a party to a divorce should retain an attorney whose practice is devoted to matrimonial and family law.
- Can You "Bargain" About Entry of a Restraining Order?
- Are Changes On the Way for New Jersey Surrogacy Laws?
- When You Want to File for an At-Fault Divorce
- Parental Alienation: Could You Be Guilty of It?
- What Happens When Men Are Domestic Violence Victims?
- Psychological Parents: What You Need to Know
- How Long Do You Need to Be Married to Collect Alimony?
- When You Think a Restraining Order is No Longer Necessary
- Seven Myths about Family Law That Might Surprise You
- What You Might Not Know about Restraining Orders (And, Should!)
Domestic Violence civil union Child Custody new jersey law alimony dissolution of civil union grey divorce Child support enforcement Equitable Distribution Child Support Prenuptial Agreement Divorce same-sex couples Prenuptial Agreements high net worth
- alimony (11)
- Child Custody (7)
- Child Support (7)
- Child support enforcement (1)
- civil union (1)
- dissolution of civil union (1)
- Divorce (16)
- Domestic Violence (3)
- Equitable Distribution (6)
- grey divorce (1)
- high net worth (2)
- new jersey law (8)
- Prenuptial Agreement (2)
- Prenuptial Agreements (1)
- same-sex couples (1)