In New Jersey divorce matters, not all property is subject to equitable distribution. Gifts, inheritances and intestate distributions received by either spouse from a third party, compensation received by a spouse for personal pain, suffering and disabilities are not to be subject to equitable distribution. Also exempt from equitable distribution are the assets owned prior to the marriage. However, the question arises as to what happens when the value of these assets appreciate during the course of the marriage. These situations require analysis into what has attributed to the appreciation of these assets. Another issue that often arises is happens if some of these assets are co-mingled with other assets. For assets that have been co-mingled they may still possibly be exempt from equitable distribution if it can be demonstrated that the asset was originally intended to be dedicated for the one party or to be returned to the original party. There are a host of other discrete issues associated with seemingly exempt or pre-marital assets. This is why a party to a divorce should retain an attorney whose practice is devoted to matrimonial and family law.
- What Happens With Financial Aid When Parents Divorce?
- Divorced Parents and College Tuition
- Taking Your Children Out of the Country After a Divorce
- What Happens When One Parent Pays Children's Health Benefits?
- When You've Had Enough of Your Ex Cyberstalking You
- What Happens to Marital Debt After a Divorce?
- Can You Really Use Social Media to Serve Legal Papers?
- See What Happens When One NJ Parent Wants to Relocate Children
- Child Support Obligations Can Actually Last a Long Time
- Is Permanent Alimony Still Possible?
dissolution of civil union Child Custody Divorce civil union same-sex couples Prenuptial Agreements Prenuptial Agreement Equitable Distribution Child support enforcement alimony high net worth new jersey law Child Support Domestic Violence grey divorce
- alimony (11)
- Child Custody (7)
- Child Support (7)
- Child support enforcement (1)
- civil union (1)
- dissolution of civil union (1)
- Divorce (16)
- Domestic Violence (3)
- Equitable Distribution (6)
- grey divorce (1)
- high net worth (2)
- new jersey law (8)
- Prenuptial Agreement (2)
- Prenuptial Agreements (1)
- same-sex couples (1)