New Jersey statute gives each parent equal rights to the custody of a child. Courts prefer not to make custody arrangements, and will enforce the agreements voluntarily entered into by the parties so long as the arrangement is in the best interest of the child. However, there are several types of child custody arrangements, including joint legal custody, where one parent serves as the parent of primary residence and joint physical custody where the child spends nearly half of his or her time with each of the parents. When the court must make a decision regarding child custody, the court will consider a variety of factors. New Jersey courts encourage each parent to advance the respect, love and relationship of the child with the other parent, recognizing this as the child's right and in the best interest of the child. Only in rare and exceptional cases will a New Jersey court deny parenting time to one parent where it clearly and convincingly appears that it will cause physical or emotional harm to the child or where it is demonstrated that the parent is unfit.
- What Happens With Financial Aid When Parents Divorce?
- Divorced Parents and College Tuition
- Taking Your Children Out of the Country After a Divorce
- What Happens When One Parent Pays Children's Health Benefits?
- When You've Had Enough of Your Ex Cyberstalking You
- What Happens to Marital Debt After a Divorce?
- Can You Really Use Social Media to Serve Legal Papers?
- See What Happens When One NJ Parent Wants to Relocate Children
- Child Support Obligations Can Actually Last a Long Time
- Is Permanent Alimony Still Possible?
high net worth Prenuptial Agreements Equitable Distribution Divorce Child support enforcement civil union same-sex couples Domestic Violence Child Support new jersey law Child Custody dissolution of civil union Prenuptial Agreement grey divorce alimony
- alimony (11)
- Child Custody (7)
- Child Support (7)
- Child support enforcement (1)
- civil union (1)
- dissolution of civil union (1)
- Divorce (16)
- Domestic Violence (3)
- Equitable Distribution (6)
- grey divorce (1)
- high net worth (2)
- new jersey law (8)
- Prenuptial Agreement (2)
- Prenuptial Agreements (1)
- same-sex couples (1)