New Jersey statute gives each parent equal rights to the custody of a child. Courts prefer not to make custody arrangements, and will enforce the agreements voluntarily entered into by the parties so long as the arrangement is in the best interest of the child. However, there are several types of child custody arrangements, including joint legal custody, where one parent serves as the parent of primary residence and joint physical custody where the child spends nearly half of his or her time with each of the parents. When the court must make a decision regarding child custody, the court will consider a variety of factors. New Jersey courts encourage each parent to advance the respect, love and relationship of the child with the other parent, recognizing this as the child's right and in the best interest of the child. Only in rare and exceptional cases will a New Jersey court deny parenting time to one parent where it clearly and convincingly appears that it will cause physical or emotional harm to the child or where it is demonstrated that the parent is unfit.
- Can You "Bargain" About Entry of a Restraining Order?
- Are Changes On the Way for New Jersey Surrogacy Laws?
- When You Want to File for an At-Fault Divorce
- Parental Alienation: Could You Be Guilty of It?
- What Happens When Men Are Domestic Violence Victims?
- Psychological Parents: What You Need to Know
- How Long Do You Need to Be Married to Collect Alimony?
- When You Think a Restraining Order is No Longer Necessary
- Seven Myths about Family Law That Might Surprise You
- What You Might Not Know about Restraining Orders (And, Should!)
Equitable Distribution alimony Prenuptial Agreements Prenuptial Agreement dissolution of civil union Child Support high net worth Divorce new jersey law Domestic Violence grey divorce same-sex couples Child support enforcement Child Custody civil union
- alimony (11)
- Child Custody (7)
- Child Support (7)
- Child support enforcement (1)
- civil union (1)
- dissolution of civil union (1)
- Divorce (16)
- Domestic Violence (3)
- Equitable Distribution (6)
- grey divorce (1)
- high net worth (2)
- new jersey law (8)
- Prenuptial Agreement (2)
- Prenuptial Agreements (1)
- same-sex couples (1)