New Jersey statute gives each parent equal rights to the custody of a child. Courts prefer not to make custody arrangements, and will enforce the agreements voluntarily entered into by the parties so long as the arrangement is in the best interest of the child. However, there are several types of child custody arrangements, including joint legal custody, where one parent serves as the parent of primary residence and joint physical custody where the child spends nearly half of his or her time with each of the parents. When the court must make a decision regarding child custody, the court will consider a variety of factors. New Jersey courts encourage each parent to advance the respect, love and relationship of the child with the other parent, recognizing this as the child's right and in the best interest of the child. Only in rare and exceptional cases will a New Jersey court deny parenting time to one parent where it clearly and convincingly appears that it will cause physical or emotional harm to the child or where it is demonstrated that the parent is unfit.
- Your Children's College Expenses as a Legal Issue
- What Does Overnight Parenting Time Have To Do With Child Support?
- What in the World Does Domestic Contretemps Mean?
- How to Make Co-Parenting Work for Your Children
- When You Settle Your Divorce Through Voluntary Mediation
- Divorce and Your Health Insurance: What You Need to Know
- Changing Your Children's School After a Divorce
- Deferred Compensation: How Will It Be Divided When You Split Up?
- Will Your Home Team Break Up After the Super Bowl?
- Worried Your Divorce Will Affect Your Parental Rights?
Domestic Violence Prenuptial Agreement same-sex couples Divorce civil union alimony new jersey law grey divorce Child Custody Prenuptial Agreements high net worth Child Support Child support enforcement Equitable Distribution dissolution of civil union
- alimony (11)
- Child Custody (7)
- Child Support (7)
- Child support enforcement (1)
- civil union (1)
- dissolution of civil union (1)
- Divorce (16)
- Domestic Violence (3)
- Equitable Distribution (6)
- grey divorce (1)
- high net worth (2)
- new jersey law (8)
- Prenuptial Agreement (2)
- Prenuptial Agreements (1)
- same-sex couples (1)